Cradle 2 Cradle Ronneby, Sweden
B+B was invited together with other specialists, to participate in a workshop to create ideas on how to make the First Cradle to Cradle built neighborhood in Sweden! In this pilot project the municipality, in collaboration with future private developers, will convert a central industrial site in the city of Ronneby into a sustainable neighborhood that leaves a positive footprint instead of a less negative while strengthening municipal and regional competitiveness.
Based on a vision for the area, the team formulated goals for the area’s development linked to the chosen intensions and to summarize the ideas into guidelines rather than a masterplan for the area. These guidelines are open for change and adaptable to future needs of the development the upcoming years. Much focus lies on making the area attractive for possible investors.
to do so, we suggested the following steps:
– Design and build a park with vegetation that cleans the soil.
– Connect the area to the city
– Create new activities on the site, build flexible and temporary structures
– The new structures and conducted programs are aiming to get the area known to a bigger audience
– Invite local people and businesses to present their ideas and plans for the area
– A business community development program inspired by C2C and based on existing technology an businesses is started
– The house of the future is built on the area and tested to get some real life data for improvement
– Cooperation with schools and universities helps to attract young people and share the development technology
– Over time the need for apartments, offices, meeting spaces and tourists are monitored
– Replacing temporary structures with healthy permanent but flexible buildings
By doing so, a new form of urban planning will be established. Therefore also the legal instruments have to be flexible enough to allow development rather based on flexibility and changes over time than on a fixed masterplan. The urban plan will be based on local needs and possibilities. Not only profit is the driving force, but also other aspects such as health, pleasure and biodiversity will be taken into account.
- Location: Fridhemsvägen, Ronneby, Sweden
- study: 2014
- Client: municipality Ronneby, Sweden
- Area: 9 ha
- Partners: Except, LIAG architects